Alcohol Focus Scotland has developed a learning resource that tackles the issue of harm caused to children because of parental alcohol problems.
Rory is a storybook aimed at primary school children. It tells the story of a dog who can't understand why his owner is acting a certain way, until it’s explained to him that his owner drinks too much.
It is estimated that at least 51,000 children in Scotland are affected by a parent with a drink problem. These children have to cope with their parent's unpredictable behavior, rows, neglect, domestic violence, can feel ashamed and often under-achieve at school.
The pack can be used in different ways to help children understand the feelings they might experience when living with someone who has an alcohol problem and encourage children to speak to a trusted adult. Adults reading the book will also gain a better understanding of the impact of parental alcohol misuse from a child's point of view.
The Rory resource is widely used in agencies and schools throughout Scotland.
Rory evaluation report - summary of findings and next steps
Rory resource website for teachers, children, parents and practitioners
The Rory resource pack contains:
- Rory story book
- Rory story book (abridged version)
- Mp4 player
- Rory puppet
- Activity pack (games, worksheets, stickers, kennel build game)
- Guidance notes
- Rory book - £2.95
- Rory book (abridged version) - £2.95
- Rory resource pack with USB - £85.00
- Rory resource pack with CD - £79.99
- Original Rory resource pack with CD - £99.99
- Rory update pack with USB - £39.99
- Rory update pack with CD - £35.00
- Rory activity workbooks (pack of 50) - £35.00
- Rory kennels (pack of 50) - £9.99
VAT and P&P charges also apply.
A training workshop is available to support practitioners working with children and young people to gain an understanding of the effects of parental alcohol misuse on children and how the resources can be utililsed to their maximum potential within their own working environment. The workshop covers a range of topics including:
- Alcohol – exploring attitudes
- Effects of parental alcohol misuse on children
- Using Rory resources in practice
- Managing disclosure and sources of support
For more information please contact Jane Wilson on 0141 572 6598 or email email@example.com