We offer a range of courses for those involved in the regulation of licensing to meet the requirements of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005.
A booking form is accessible through the link in the individual course information below.
If you are looking for more information please call 0141 572 6700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, from 1 January 2022 AFS no longer run Personal License Holder training. Find a training provider in your area.
About Licensing Board Members training
This is a mandatory qualification for Licensing Board members elected by their local Council. It may be useful for other people involved in the licensing process, such as Licensing Board administration staff, lawyers or police.
- No entrance requirements
- 1 day course with pre-course and follow-up home study
- Course content is specified by the Scottish Government and covers an introduction to licensing, responsible operation of licensed premises, the effect of irresponsible operation on society and health
- 40 question multiple choice assessment completed virtually, beyond the the training session, awarded by Alcohol Focus Scotland and accredited by Scottish Qualifications Authority for the purposes of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
- The Alcohol Focus Scotland publication "Licensing Board Members Guidebook" will be issued to candidates electronically for pre-course reading
All licensing board members are required to complete one day training and pass an exam within three months of being elected to a licensing board. In 2022, we trained almost 350 Councillors who were joining their local licensing board.
Our trainer was brilliant at explaining everything to us. I enjoyed the day and feel like I now have a sound understanding of the role and responsibilities of the licensing board.
Licensing Standards Officers training
This is a mandatory qualification for Licensing Standards Officers employed by their local Council. It may be useful for other people involved in monitoring licensed premises such as Licensing Board administration staff.
- No entrance requirements
- 3 day course with pre-course reading
- Course content is specified by the Scottish Government and covers an introduction to licensing, responsible operation of licensed premises and the effect of irresponsible operation on society and health
- 50 question multiple choice assessment completed at the end of the training session, awarded by Alcohol Focus Scotland and accredited by Scottish Qualifications Authority for the purposes of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
- The Alcohol Focus Scotland publication “Licensing Standards Officer Qualification Guidebook” is included in the price
Cost: £550 per person
Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm each day
Location: AFS Offices, 166 Buchanan St, Glasgow, G1 2LW
Very informative. I am confident that I will be able to apply everything I have learned. Comprehensive yet relaxed.
Workbook for staff of licensed premises
The City & Guilds Workbook for Staff of Licensed Premises is an ideal tool for personal licence holders to provide the 2 hours minimum training to all of their staff required by the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005.
On receipt of your order we will send you a 'quote' showing total charges for goods and postage along with payment instructions.
In line with current Scottish Government advice, our staff team are working remotely. We regret, therefore, that we are unable to guarantee timescales for delivery.
ServeWise Online Responsible Service of Alcohol course for Staff Working in Scottish Licensed Premises.
This course meets the requirement for staff training under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. It is overseen by a trainer and offers online support. The online course can be completed in one or more sessions, at a time and place to suit the candidate. The course costs £35 per person.