Alcohol and the workplace
Alcohol can affect workplace performance, safety and productivity.
Having a clear policy on alcohol and drugs in the workplace ensures a company complies with appropriate legislation, minimises the health and safety risks associated with being under the influence of alcohol or drugs at work, and supports employees experiencing problems with alcohol or drugs.
Visit the resources section for factsheets on how to develop and implement a workplace alcohol policy, how to deal with alcohol problems at work, and how to run a workplace alcohol awareness event.
Bespoke training - Managing alcohol and drug issues in the workplace
AFS offers bespoke training which is suitable for anyone with responsibility for supervising or managing staff. It involves a 45 minute online learning module and 3 hour classroom-based module.
- Increased awareness and understanding of the impact of alcohol and drugs in Scotland
- More confidence to raise the issue with colleagues
- More confidence to manage alcohol or drug issues in the workplace
- Better understanding of workplace alcohol and drug policies
For more information on this training, including costs, please get in touch.
Training for managers
In partnership with Healthy Working Lives we offer free training and support for managers on dealing with alcohol and drugs issues in the workplace.
The training covers:
- Guidance on the development and implementation of a workplace alcohol and drugs policy
- Techniques to discuss alcohol and drugs in the workplace
- How to deal with any identified issues
- Where to get further support
The half day training session can be accessed through local Healthy Working Lives advisers who will advise on available dates and locations.
Training for trainers
We have also developed a blended learning programme that allows trainers within companies and organisations to deliver this training direct to their workforce. Details are available from local Healthy Working Lives advisers on 0800 019 2211.